Apple has launched its latest operating system named as MacOS Catalina 10.15. The latest MacOS holds a bunch of new features that raise your excitement level. However, users have notified and complained about data loss after the recent update. So, we’ve gathered all the manual and automatic, fixes you can try out to get your data back.
Before we move to the solutions, we would like to mention the newly introduced features with the latest MacOS Catalina 10.15. Well, the features are appreciated by users. Check them out!
Table of Contents
- 1 MacOS Catalina 10.15 Salient Features
- 2 Fixes to Recover Data from MacOS Catalina 10.15
- 3 Stellar Data Recovery Professional Software for Mac – Best Way To Recover Data From macOS Catalina 10.15
MacOS Catalina 10.15 Salient Features
- The most interesting new feature is the Sidecar. Actually, using this feature, you can use your iPad as a secondary display. Your Mac will let you view your artwork while you can use your iPad for tools and palettes.
- For developers, Catalina comes with Project Catalyst that enables them to create the environment of their iOS 13 and iPad OS.
- The new OS replaced the aging iTunes with the new Apple Music, Podcasts, and Apple TV apps. That makes a better way to enjoy songs, movies and other recreational shows on the new Mac OS.
Still, after such amazing features, no one would like to lose their data. That’s why users are asking us— How to Recover Data from MacOS Catalina 10.15? Hence, we’ve come up with some working manual fixes and solutions that would help you out.
Fixes to Recover Data from MacOS Catalina 10.15
It’s recommended to create a backup before you upgrade your Mac device. However, in case you forget it and lost your data, don’t worry. Use the following shared fixes and solutions to recover your lost data.
#1: Look in another Folder
The release note of MacOS 10.15 by Apple Developer specifies that after upgrading to the latest OS your files or folders move to the role level of a volume.
You can find your lost files here
Library> System Migration> History> Migration UUID > Quarantine Root
Go to this folder and check if the files you have lost are here.
#2: Restore Lost Data From Time Machine Backup
Time Machine app is one of the easiest option when it’s about restoring your file from MacOS. However, this will work only when you have Time Machine backups. Use the following steps to recover your lost data from MacOS Catalina 10.15 by using Time Machine Backup.
Method 1: Restore your particular files/folders from your Time Machine backup
You can use the subsequent steps to restore your particular files and folder forms a Time Machine Backup.
- Open up Launchpad on Mac
- Click “Others”.
- Look for “Time Machine icon” and click it to open.
You can also click on the Time Machine icon present in the menu bar. Next, you have to choose “Enter Time Machine”. If you can’t find the Time Machine icon in the menu bar follow this
“Apple menu > System Preferences”, click “Time Machine”
After which check the box adjacent to “Show Time Machine in menu bar”.
- To browse the local snapshots and backups, use the arrows which are present at the bottom most and timeline on the left side.
- Select the required folders or files you want to recover> Click restore.
Method 2: Restore your Lost Mac Data from a Time Machine backup
Even if your Mac crashes, you can lose your data even after upgrading to macOS Catalina. Again, use Time Machine local snapshot to reinstate the lost file on your MacBook.
- You have to boot your Mac in Recovery Mode. Restart it when startup disc is walk up and hold down CMD+R Keys, all at once. This will put your Mac in Recovery Mode, and the “macOS Utilities” window will be accessible. (If it doesn’t boot in Recovery Mode, try again)
- Below the “macOS Utilities” window, choose “Restore from Time Machine Backup” and click “Continue”.
- Go through the info on the “Restore Your System” page and click “Continue”.
- Choose the disk that holds the Time Machine backup and click “Continue”.
- A list of local snapshots will appear. Select the freshest backup of your hard disk and click “Continue”. This will begin the restore process, once done restart your Mac.
#2: Use iCloud Backup to Recover the Lost File
You can try out iCloud Drive, in case your Time Machine restore failed or got unsuccessful. It’s the most common cloud storage on iOS and Mac PC. The driver utilizes the purpose of storing and syncing files among various devices.
Usually, People stores more and more filed into iCloud storage to clear out the local disk of Macs. It also has a hidden restore feature. You can use this feature to Recover Data from MacOS Catalina 10.15.
- Visit iCloud.com in any web-based browser and log in to the account in which the backup is.
- Click “Setting” and scroll down to the bottommost of the page that emerges.
- At the bottom left side, click on Advanced>Restore Files.
If you want to specifically restore contacts, calendars bookmarks, and reminders from iCloud, click on the respective under “Advanced”.
- Select the files you want to restore by checking off the boxes on the left of the file or click “Select all” if you want to restore every file. Click Restore Button to recover a respective file.
So, these were the manual fixes to macOS Catalina 10.15 data recovery.
Remember, though these manual fixes works, but sometimes lead to some hamper, when not done properly. In simple words, the execution of these steps require experienced person. So, if you’re one, fine, but if think not or want to go for easy and quick process, software is the solution for you…
Stellar Data Recovery Professional Software for Mac – Best Way To Recover Data From macOS Catalina 10.15
Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac is the best software to recover lost files after upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can use the application to recover the lost files after macOS Catalina upgrade/update or to recover lost data after downgrading macOS Catalina.
The software uses the latest technology and most user-friendly interface to make data recovery easier. You can use it to recover data permanently deleted files, formatted data, SSDs, lost volumes, corrupt drives, & un-mounted USBs.
Stellar Data Recovery Software for Mac, besides from MacOS Catalina 10.15, also works for Mac earlier versions like macOS Mojave or High Sierra.
Steps To Prepare macOS Catalina Start-up disk
First, you require to deactivate ‘System Integrity Protection’ on Mac ‘start-up disk’ provisionally. Follow these steps to do so:
- Restart your Mac while press-hold cmd+ R to enter into Recovery Mode.
- Launch ‘Terminal’ and enter in the command ‘csrutil disable’
- Press ‘Return key’
This would deactivate ‘System Integrity Protection’, and now restart your Mac as normal.
Steps to Recover Data From macOS Catalina 10.15 With Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac
- Open the Stellar Data Recovery Professional and select the folders or files you want to recover. Also, you have a customization option to scan specific files, which use the toggle-buttons. Press Next
- Select “Macintosh HD” i.e. the “start-up disk” that comprises macOS Catalina OS. You may also choose an external disk or USB if you want to get the lost data from them.
- Launch “Scan” or “Deep Scan” and allow the Stellar Data Recovery Professional to finish the procedure.
- Preview the “recoverable files” once the scan is complete.
- Stellar Data Recovery software allows registered users to save files to a specific destination of your choice.